Thursday 30 May 2013

Review: Out of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Bookish Details:
Pages: 346
Publisher: Philomel Books
Release Date: 12th February 2013

Synopsis:It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer.

She devises a plan get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street. Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.
With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny

My Review:
Well, what can I say about Out of The Easy? There aren't words to describe how much I fell in love with this book.

I have a feeling that Ruta Sepetys is going to be one of those authors that every time she releases a book, I will buy it no matter what. She is fast becoming one of my favorite writers.

Out of The Easy is set in 1950s New Orleans. Now, it’s not often that I read historical fiction, but I made an exception for Ruta’s first novel (Between Shades of Gray) and it was a beautiful story, so reading this book was an easy decision for me.

The story follows 17 year old Josie and her life working in a bookstore and cleaning for well-known Madam, Willie, who she has known since she was a little girl. Josie is a fantastic heroine. She is strong and smart and you really feel the struggles that she faces. Her friendship with Patrick and the story between them is written so perfectly. I also love how she is determined not to follow in the footsteps of her mother, sticking to her own ways.

I also adored Willie! She’s definitely one of the most interesting characters I've came across in a while. I love how much she did genuinely care for Josie throughout the story. There were some really heart-warming moments between the two of them.

Each character in this story was captivating to read about. It’s not often I read a book in which all of the characters are so amazing. They are all so unique and they help create a story that will stay with you for a long time.

The pacing of the plot is perfect. Nothing feels rushed within the story and every chapter leaves you needing to read the next one.

What I also really love about this book is that it captures the setting and the time of New Orleans so perfectly, you feel as though you are actually there with the characters.  It has made me want to read more books set in New Orleans, that’s for sure!

I would seriously recommend this book to anyone, even if you don’t usually read historical novels because, trust me, you won’t regret it. It’s like no other book out there. 

Royal Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

< > Home
emerge © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.